Friday, October 17, 2008

THERE'S A DROUGHT!





So my challenge has been producing milk these days. The herb fenugreek works wonders! Take a teaspoon or so of it and BAM! I've got enough milk for a bowl of Wheaties! Recently, the milk supply is drying up and the fenugreek is hardly workin'. I mean, I did say I wanted to wean Jehan by age one and her birthday is next week. She has gone from 15 or so feedings a day down to about 4 to 6 feedings a day. I wouldn't be as concerned if she didnt seem to be so hungry still and if she wasnt sucking on my breast at times waiting for a delivery that never comes.

Jehan has been slow (in my opinion) to taking interest in table food. She has her moments when she eats good and for some reason those times are when we are in public even if it is my home-cooked food that I packed. I think maybe she needs the distraction of something else while she is eating. At home she runs around while I am trying to feed her. She wont sit in the high chair. I dont want her to associate the high chair as a "bad" place that I am forcing food down her throat.

THe foods that she likes best are lentils, rice, cooked spinach, bagels with cream cheese, yogurt, natural potato chips, fishsticks (no preservatives or dyes) and potatoes. I have tried so many other foods, but she just convulses her body and spits it out: carrots, peas, hot cereal like oatmeal and cream of wheat or cream of rice.

This has definitely been one the most challenging parts of motherhood for me. As most of you know food is a big part of my life and I wanna make sure that my baby is getting enough nourishment. I welcome any suggestions or comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, of course i have no personal experience in this regard but i feel like i've been a part of your nursing journey. ;) maybe your body has become desensitized to fenugreek, so consider trying a new approach i.e. blessed thistle, alfalfa, red raspberry, nettle, or oat straw.
this post had us rolling! thanks for sharing. you have a right to do what you believe is in your child's best interest- with knowledge, wisdom, and practicality, of course. we miss ya'll!

Unknown said...

I once heard a pediatrician say that most babies are funny eaters. And that when they don't wanna eat something don't force them, just leave it there, and when they feel like eating you can trust they're gonna go back and eat.

I mean hey, they're kids, and as we know kids equate everything with playing. That's why most kids like to run around, eat a little, then run around somemore.

You two are doing a great job